Sunday, September 21, 2008

What I SHOULD be doing....

I should be fixing dinner.
I should be going to the Primary Inservice Meeting tonight.
I should be making my teenagers go to the Youth Fireside, also tonight.
I should be folding laundry.
I should be discouraging my little ones from building a giant battle scene in the living room.


But after that exciting list, I ask myself
"WHY?" Why should I do any of those things? I don't want to do them. What I want to do is snoop around on my friends' blogs and see how they're doing. I want to listen to my boys scheming and planning how Skeletrex and Zomboid (guys that Wade invented) are going to use the castle, the gas station, the pirate ship, and the Rescue Heroes house to battle each other. I want my husband to fix dinner because I don't like to cook. I already did three days worth of dishes today. And I took the pork chops and the cake out of the freezer....isn't that enough? Plus I folded about five loads of laundry--only three to go....today. (Please don't comment about me doing laundry Sunday, I justify myself because I STARTED it on Saturday).

Kate and I sang in church today. We sang If the Savior Stood Beside Me. I usually play my flute in church, but I needed a change. I think we surprised people when we went up to the podium without our flutes! I love playing with Kate. She thinks like me. We breathe at the same time, we slow down at the same time, and we get louder at the same time. It's a musician thing, but when you find someone like that to perform with, it's sheer joy. I've met a few people in my life who "click" in this way, but only a handful. One is my mom. One is my daughter. I'm the luckiest mommy in the world.

For Family Night last week we went up to BYU and flew paper airplanes off the patio of the 4th floor of the JFSB. It's probably illegal... We found out that the wind was wafting to the west, which meant all our planes flew straight back into the building. Except the round ones. Ever made a round paper airplane? Me either. But they're great gliders. Paul made the first one, and after it flew clear over to the library, we all started making them. The only downside was the janitor vacuuming in the elevator, which made us have to run clear to the other side of the building to use the other elevator (which was NOT faster than just running down the four flights of stairs....) But we got our exercie, and I think got some quality family time in the bargain!!

Now I think I'll go fix dinner...I'm hungry.

2 comments:

Lee and Melody said...

My list of things I should be doing is strikingly similar...but sometimes it includes things like "Get up and get a drink of water" and I STILL can't talk myself into it. :) If I was there, we could have a laundry folding party, because it's way more fun with someone to talk to!

Rarlos said...

I agree with you--I love playing with my dad for the same reasons. It's nice to have someone I can trust, musically speaking, and who thinks the same way. It makes me happy.