Friday, May 8, 2009

8,000 Steps a Day

I am participating in a fitness challenge at work. We are supposed to walk an average of 8,000 steps a day. Dennis is helping me, and we go for a lovely walk in the evenings. We of course leave the children at home.

Isaac has been feeling left out, and he wants to participate. He is intrigued by my pedometer, and asks me several times a day how many steps I have taken so far. He also asks me to check the total to see how many steps I have taken since the challenge started (on Monday). He watches carefully when we get home and I stretch out, and when I do some random push ups and ab exercises, he does them with me. He has become my exercise buddy. (Nothing like a six year-old doing ten sit-ups to my one to make me feel older and more decrepit than I already do!!)

I go online to the challenge website where I can enter my total steps for the day. Isaac wants to see what place I am in, you know, compared to the 1,000 or so other individuals who are also doing this fitness challenge. He was disappointed last night to find out that I am in 526th place. (Yeah, cuz the first place person, in just three days, has walked/run about 144,000 steps. I wonder....)

Well, Isaac has "hitched a plan" (that's what my kids say when they have a great idea...). He is going to get his own pedometer, and he's going to "be on my team." He wants to add his steps to mine so I can be higher than 526th place. I don't suppose I'll actually enter his steps online, but I most certainly will write them down and keep track of his little steps as he follows me around and we do our exercises together.

Last night, after I got home from a particularly unsatisfying and kind of painful walk/run, I was lying on the couch and Dennis was rubbing my sore feet and legs. Isaac came bounding down and asked if I was ready to do our exercises together. I almost cried. I almost cried because the thought of moving made we want to puke. I almost cried because my little man, my baby, wanted me to come and do exercises with him. He wanted to spend time with me.

I got up. And we did exercises. And I achieved 8,044 steps yesterday.

10 comments:

MattP said...

Marianne, you are the bomb. Isn't it wonderful when kids make us be better just by being? I love you, and I am proud of you 8,044 steps.

Lee and Melody said...

I am proud too! Sometimes when I am running and hating everything and being miserable and wanting to just stop and lay down (often), I start counting my steps. Because no matter how yucky I feel, I can always run just 20 more, right? Or maybe 50 steps more, and then I'll die. Turns out that while jogging, I can go a mile in about 1,600 steps. And there have been days where I counted every single step to myself just being excited that it would be over soon! :)

I love you, Sis. And all your sweet kiddos. And your hubby.

heath said...

So fun when your kids want to hang out with you. I remember a few phases where I liked to take walks with my parents--one of the perks of being the youngest and the only one at home. Good luck with your 8,000 steps a day--I think I'm averaging about 500 lately!

Lizzy Lambson said...

Way to step it up, Marianne! That's awesome. Thanks for the comments on my blog--you are so supportive! Thank you! I love Marriane!

Annie said...

Marianne! My family just did this last week! School was cancelled because of swine flu and my mom didn't want everyone sitting around watching tv or playing video games so we had a "step challenge." My four siblings, me, my mom, and two cousins, all had pedometers from Tuesday to Saturday. It was pretty crazy! I know how tiring it gets! My little sister came in first with 113,000 steps (she walked on the treadmill for 4 hours the last night to win). I think I was like 5th or something-- I only had 64,000. There were cash prizes, though, so that was the motivation! Pretty funny that you're doing that, too! Good luck!

Tat said...

Yay! What a cute little guy. And what a great mom you are.

Tami said...

woohoo! way to go!

Candi said...

Way to go! I did that a couple years ago, and was shocked at how little I really did walk in real life. Also, don't worry about the jogger. When you run with a pedometer, it logs as actually 2 steps. Tricky, eh? Keep up the good work!

Lainie said...

Oh Marianne!!! Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could get in shape ONCE and then stay that way? It is never-ending and life-long. You are awesome! Just remember, the beginning is ALWAYS the hardest!!! In face, it flat out sucks rocks. And how sweet Isaac is - so supportive, just the push every mom needs. I love you. I'm cheering for you. WALK ON!!!!

JoEllen said...

Way to go!! I need a challenge like that for me. It is so hard to get started! Keep on going! You can do it.