Friday, September 25, 2009

Road Trip, Days 6-13, Alaska

My goal is to wrap up the Road Trip before Halloween. But honestly, I am not at all opposed to prolonging summer as long as possible, it is one of my four favorite seasons, after all!

I think you will note that this post contains pictures of LOTS of smiling people. Very happy people. Smiling and loving every second of their fish-filled lives. There are also lots of fish pictures. If you don't like fish pictures, I doubt you will like this post. You may want to skip it altogether. Consider yourself warned on that point.

BUT, back to the smiling....you will also note that some of the pictures are of a lesser quality. Those would be the pictures taken on Dennis' cell phone, so he could send them to me on my cell phone and keep me and Kate and Isaac (who, if you'll recall, are staying in Oregon for days 6-13) constantly updated on the fish count. We smiled alot, too.

So here's Wade a few days before we left.
Dennis bought him a HUGE surf rod
for catching big Alaskan fish.
He was practicing in the flower bed...

Aerial View.
Really quite stunning.
Dennis still talks about it.

More aerial view....

Ah, here we go!!
Smiling and fishing.
That's all he needs.

Wade and Salmon.
He was happy, happy, happy.

Wade caught this handsome fellow.
It's a Rock Fish.
It's very, very ugly
and poisonous, too.
Don't we often find those two traits together?

I think this is another Rock fish.
And another Happy Wade.

I'll tell you one thing...
We've been eating a lot of fish
and sharing a lot of fish
and Paul's about to bring home
a lot more fish!!

Here's another happy fisherman!
(Isn't he the cutest?)

The catch(es) of the day
and the awesome catcher!

A few starfish...
Catching something besides fish...

Another happy fisherman.
They're everywhere!!

I know that Wade will remember this trip
FONDLY
for the entire rest of his life.
So will Dennis.
So will Paul.

Another handsome starfish.

Woo!! An actual mammal!!
One day Dennis and Wade went to see the bears.
They watched this guy play around the river and
climb on logs
and try to catch a fish.
Just like Wade!

There are no trees like this in Utah
that's for sure!!

Paul and Wade
and some pretty darn gorgeous scenery.

Some pretty darn gorgeous scenery
without Paul and Wade...

Paul tells me the sunsets there are often
nothing short of
spectacular.
I think this one was pretty tame
compared to many.
But I think it's really lovely.
Serene, if you will.

Now...
I've saved the best (biggest) for last.
I asked Paul
HOW
you bring in a fish this big.
He told me
"With a gun and a rope."
He wasn't kidding.

It's a 267 lb. halibut.
No, Paul didn't catch it, one of their customers did.
But EVERY person on the dock that day
had their picture taken with this fish!!
I would have too,
if I had been there.
Which I wasn't.

So, they fished and saw the sights and Paul took them around and showed them where he works and some days they helped him a little. Mostly they fished.

One day, it rained really hard while Dennis and Wade were out in the open water and Dennis told me later that he was actually scared. There is nothing that scares me more than knowing that Dennis is scared. Good thing I wasn't there. But he took good care of Wade and they are forever bonded by this trip.

On the last day, they were all fishing, and Dennis had my camera in his shirt pocket. He leaned over in the boat to help Wade with something, and the camera fell out of his pocket and into the water in the bottom of the boat. (Insert potty mouth here). He snatched it out and shook out as much water as he could, but the damage was done. He put the camera in a safer place, and asked Paul if he could borrow his camera. His brand new camera that we bought for him and brought to him in Alaska. He put it in his shirt pocket. (Don't bother groaning...it's too late now!!) A few minutes later, he leaned over again, and Paul's camera fell out of his pocket and into the water in the bottom of the boat. (Insert severe potty mouth here). Paul grabbed it and opened it to pop out the memory card, which flew out of the camera and into the cold Alaskan ocean. Paul watched it sink. He was sad. Dennis was sad. Wade was sad.

Well, wipe away your tears. When I heard the story, I was sad too. (I was actually pretty mad, but that doesn't do anybody any good, now does it?) Dennis worked very hard to dry out the cameras as best he could, and didn't use them anymore for several days. He brought them both home to see if they could be repaired.

For those of you who know Dennis, you will remember that there are VERY few things he can't fix. Fortunately for me, and for the cameras, and for him, he was able to mostly fix my camera, and he had Paul's working pretty well before we put it in the mail with a new memory card. I don't think either camera will ever be quite the same, but they work well enough, I suppose. Paul tells us that lately, his isn't working very well, so I guess he'll get his third camera of the year when he gets home!!

Sigh.

Oh well, that's the way the balls bounce and the cookies crumble and life is sometimes! I think I'll scroll up and look at all the awesome pictures that Dennis was able to retrieve.

**Pause while I look. You should, too**

Ah, that's better. Life is good. That was one awesome trip. And for those of you who are wondering, Paul will be home in 13 days. Yeah, he's bringing fish.

3 comments:

Kazzy said...

I am sure this was an incredible bonding experience for Dennis and Wade. So so cool! And that halibut?? Now I am starving! Great shots! Thanks.

Susan said...

Awesome pictures! I want to see bears playing!

Lee and Melody said...

I am excited he will be home soon! What a wonderful-looking trip. I hope I get to go to Alaska some day before I die. Wanna come?

Wyatt gave my camera a full-on bath in the wading pool a few weeks ago, so I know that pain. Although I only had a few pictures of the dog (that I was able to later retrieve), so it wasn't as great a loss. :( But awesome, delightful pictures of your awesome, delightful boys.