Thursday, December 31, 2009

Celebrating

I'm sitting on the couch in my parent's living room. My feet are resting on the chair in front of me. Wade is sitting on the chair, and he keeps jumping up and making my feet fall off the chair. Annoying. I'm sitting next to Laura, who is also blogging, and Kate, who is reading "Chasing Redbird." Adam and Emily and Isaac and Wade and Brynn and Kaylee and Victor are playing "The Great Dalmuti." Charly and Kirsten and Rosie are playing "Sorry." My Dad and Dennis and Mark and Brian are in the kitchen watching basketball. Anja is rocking Hazel, and Heidi is feeding baby Adam. Mark has to go home because he has to go to work at 3:00 in the morning. Matt and Paul and Alex are downstairs playing ATARI. (Seriously. Atari.)There are people everywhere. People that I love.

This is our annual New Year's Eve party. We are eating and playing games and talking and trying to stay up to greet 2010.

I am thinking about my New Year's Resolutions. The giant plate of homemade fudge that just wandered into the room is making me rethink one of my resolutions...

I don't like New Year's resolutions. I don't like to think that I'll only try to improve myself at the beginning of each year... I like "make it when you need it" resolutions. See a need, make a resolution. No planning ahead for this girl!

Actually, I believe that I am on a constant quest for self-improvement. The people I live with may not agree, but that's how I think about it.

Anyway, it's hard to blog when the party is raging all around me. Plus the laptop is making my lap HOT. So I'll go join the festivities. I'll eat Phat Cow Fudge and my mom's world famous caramel pecan logs. I'll drink Grammy Shirley's egg nog and watch the "Settlers of Catan" game. I'll apologize again to Paul for smacking him with the empty wrapping paper roll and leaving a mark on his arm. (I was blindfolded, and he was pinching me. I couldn't help myself! You would have done the same. Wouldn't you?) And at midnight I'll go out on the porch and yell, "Happy New Year!" and bang two pan lids together. Then I'll come inside and fall exhausted into the nearest empty sleeping place and dream my way into 2010.

Happy New Year!

2 comments:

Lee and Melody said...

Sounds SO fun, wish I could have been there! And I agree, it's less effective to make resolutions at the beginning of the year...I make resolutions quarterly so I can reassess (or reattempt) as needed. And I love you SOOOOooooo much!

Kazzy said...

Sounded like quite the party! Gid and I spent NYE alone in a condo in St. G. It was quiet and nice and I smooched him as the clock struck 12. But really, your gig sounds fun too!