Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Is There a Doctor in the House??

Apparently not at my house. Well, actually, there is a doctor, but he's a PhD, and so not really the kind of doctor I need.

Wait a minute!! I don't need a doctor! I've been a mom for almost twenty years. I can handle this...

Kate has been sick for over a week. She's got a fever, she's achy, she's got a really bad sore throat, and now she's coughing. A lot. I took her to the MD (not the PhD, he is no help at all in this kind of situation) TWICE last week. Still no improvement and taking Motrin and Tylenol pretty much around the clock.

So I offer her some cough medicine. I'm sure if she can sleep she'll get better soon. She agrees to take the medicine, and I get it out for her and measure out the dose. She obediently takes it and then she goes to bed.

The next morning she really has a hard time getting up. She says she's so tired. Poor little thing, she's just worn out from being sick for so long and not sleeping well. But she drags herself out of bed and manages to catch the bus on time (because the sweet bus driver stopped for her, since she hadn't quite made it to the bus stop yet).

Last night she was coughing again, and I suggested she take another dose of cough medicine. Since it was still sitting out on the counter, I told her to just go take it herself. She called down from the bathroom, "Is the dose two teaspoons?"

"Yup," I call up to her. "Two teaspoons."

At this moment, I have a horrible, terrible, no good, VERY bad realization.

I start up the stairs just as she comes out of the bathroom with a big grin on her face.

"You gave me/I gave you two TABLESPOONS!!!" we blurt simultaneously.

Oh, for the love of cake AND cookies, I could have killed my daughter. I apologize profusely. I apologize multiple times. I stare at the dosing cup and wonder how, HOW, I could have done that? It was more than DOUBLE what she should have taken. What kind of a mother...??

Oh, I can't even think about it.

No wonder she couldn't wake up...

(please don't tell the authorities)

8 comments:

Rachel said...

I love you!!!

Susan said...

I did that with benadryl once - taking tablespoons instead of teaspoons. I slept all day and my parents were worried what was wrong. Then we figured it out. It happens!

Wendy said...

My kids say the same thing about Trent. "He's a doctor, but not the kind that can help anybody."

I hope she feels better. It seems like there are some long-lingering bugs out there. Isaac was doing better, but he is running a fever AGAIN!

Wendy

Lee and Melody said...

There are some nasty viruses running around this year. I know the one she has, Lee and I both had it too. I'm sorry to say the duration is around 4 weeks. I was really bad for about 10 days, and then I slowly started to improve, Lee was about the same timeframe. YUCK. And I wouldn't worry too much about a little overdose. Just don't drink the whole bottle of Dimetapp trying to cure your hiccups...like SOME of us did...

Snow said...

I heard that the recommended dose they put on labels is about half of what really would be the limit(in other words, you can actually take 4 ibuprofens instead of the recommended two and you won't die). I wouldn't recommend this, but I thought it might give you some comfort. :)

Kazzy said...

I promise to not tell, but put. the. cup. away.

Kim said...

Oh, I'm pretty sure that happens to everyone at some point. Hope she is feeling better!

Annie said...

Oh Marianne I love it! You are such a crack up.