Thursday, June 3, 2010

So I'm Stupid. Sue Me.

I cannot post a picture of the thing I'm about to tell you. It's not something I'm willing to photograph. First of all, it's ugly. Second, it's a little too private for a non-private blog.

It's my sunburn. It's really bad. And I feel really stupid, because in my forty...(ahem, mumble...) years, I've had some bad ones. I'm a fair-skinned redhead (does the alarming accumulation of gray mean I'm not a redhead anymore?), and I know that I burn easily. In the past few years, I've realized that I burn even EASIER than I did when I was younger. So I'm always very careful, at least after the first sunburn of the season. But this year? This year it's worse. So much worse.

I have no excuse. I was busy driving the boat while Dennis fiddled with the non-functioning trim adjusting thingy, and I never got around to the sunscreen. Bless Kate, she did my back, and I have her fingerprints sunburned on my shoulders, so at least my back isn't burned. But my front, oh my goodness, my purple, itchy, painful front!

I was so uncomfortable last night that I was sure if I banged my head on the wall repeatedly, I would feel better. I had just enough sense left to refrain. Instead, I pulled my hair. It helped! You should try it next time you have a bad sunburn.

NO WAY. I just had a great idea. Maybe if I give myself a triple dose of cough syrup, I'll feel better! It worked for Kate, and I'm getting desperate...

Word to the Wise: Remember the sunscreen.

6 comments:

Rachel said...

You know, I burned my chest once and it left a scar. So I feel ya. But thanks for blogging about it, because I loving reading what you have to say. :)

And this is for the sunburn :(

Annie said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You crack me UP, Marianne. That is sad, though. I hope you feel better soon. :)

t.t.turner said...

The curse of the redhead. I hear you. I absolutely cannot tan. I only burn... and collect freckles. Maybe one day all my freckles will fuse into one great, eternal tan. Probably not.

Kazzy said...

Ohhhhh man. I don't really burn, but the few times I have are still in my brain. I hope you heal up soon.

Susan said...

When I was younger I tried to tan. Stupidly. Foolishly. I have the freckles to prove it. I second Tally. It is a curse! Have you tried any aloe vera? It might help relieve some of the pain. Happy healing!

Sharon said...

Totally agree with the redhead curse! For 2 summers in high school, I worked at a kid's day care that went to the pool everyday. I was so hoping to maybe actually get a tan. By the end of the second summer, I did actually get a "tan", only what was a tan for me was still whiter than most people's stomachs that never see the sun. Oh well.
Burns stink.