Friday, July 23, 2010

Precious Metal

I had the great privilege of performing the Utah Premier of "Precious Metal," a new concerto for flute and wind ensemble by composer D.J. Sparr. Dave Fullmer, director of bands at Timpview High School, joined a consortium for the commissioning of this concerto, and invited me to be the soloist for this performance. He put together a very professional ensemble of friends and alumni of the Timpview band program, and I have to admit to being a little intimidated by the sheer star power of the group! But I think I behaved myself pretty well, and had a completely amazing experience being involved with this project. Once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for somebody like me, that's what!!

A few photos of my big night:

My brother and his family were in town
and were able to come.
I was SO glad they were there!!
Here they are in front of the Covey Center
with the HUGE banner.

Here we go!

I made a point of having a metallic-looking dress ...

In the thick of it!

And me...billed right next to the Beach Boys!!

(After the removal of about 476 bobby pins...)
WHEW. What a night!

Thanks Dave and D.J., for a wonderful evening!!

10 comments:

Julie said...

You were SO AMAZING!

Lee and Melody said...

I think you should do the post-bobby pin hairstyle all the time. Since you're posting, I'm hoping you're home for a few days? Can we come play?

Kazzy said...

Sorry I missed it! I'll bet you were the best one there! :)

I am sure you would have to pin your hair back to play your flute, or it would totally get in the way.

Sharon said...

I think it's awesome that you got to do that! What an experience!

I, too, love the hair! It reminds me of all my post-prom hairdos. :)

sachiko and mark said...

You are such a talented person. And Gorgeous! what an awesome experience for you.

t.t.turner said...

I wish I could have been there! You look gorgeous! Congratulations!

heath said...

Glad it went so well. And I love the dress! Wish I could have been there.

Caroldean said...

You did a great job. Dave Fullmer was surprised that we are cousins. I could see his brain spinning trying to figure out what happened to all my music talent. I almost said something like, "Yeah, I play but only because I needed to because of the Arthritis." But, I didn't, although that is the truth.

D. J. said...

Great Job! I so wish I could have been there... Congratulations!

Anna B said...

gorgeous!