Thursday, August 19, 2010

Eleven Days Later

Now I can bear to talk about it. It's eleven days later, and I'm feeling like maybe it's really going to be OK.

I know, I know, I'm being overdramatic. It's FAR better to be overdramatic that UNDER dramatic, so just give me a break, OK?!

Plus, I know you're just itching to hear the story. Unfortunately for you, it's not a very exciting story. I toyed with the idea of throwing in a few ninjas (Kate's suggestion), or a wakeboard with a double back flip and a half twist, or maybe some gravity boots....but the truth is, while walking home from church, I fell off my shoe, fell down, and broke my foot.

I KNOW!!! What a lame (ha ha, that's a good pun!) thing to happen. So I've been on crutches and in a boot for the past ten days, but yesterday the doctor graduated me from the crutches. Oh, happy day! I HATE those dumb things. So now I don't have to hobble with crutches, I can just hobble all by myself!

Now that I can get around a little and carry my own dishes to the sink and get into the bathroom unassisted, I'm feeling a little better about the whole thing. But that first week or so was pretty rough. Here are a few photos to help increase your pity for my unfortunate situation:

This is right after we got home from the doctor.
The sad face is pretty realistc.

My new boot.

A few days later, and the swelling is...big.

One week later. Nice bruising...

Here I am contemplating wearing my purple sweats to church....

So now we just wait for that little bone to heal up, and we'll be good to go. Several people have asked if I am going to get rid of those shoes, and the answer is, "NO WAY!" They are awesome, and they can't help it if their owner is a klutz!!

14 comments:

Erica said...

oh my gosh! You poor thing! I bet it was tough walking around with crutches (hurts your armpits BADLY) and not being able to get from point A to point B in a timely manner. I am glad it is getting better, but I bet it still hurts. (I bet you secretly wish that you could get a handicap parking pass to park closer to work)lol.

Kazzy said...

I have been a boot wearer and it stinks. But when I took it off my leg was all skinny and purty!

emily sparks said...

so sad! i hope it heals with great speed.

t.t.turner said...

My uncle just broke his foot just getting out of bed. Oh, Marianne, that's miserable. I hope you're home tomorrow... just sayin'...

sachiko and mark said...

i hope you have a speedy recovery! look at the bright side though, atleast you listened to inspiration to paint your toes before the accident, that way you look prim and classy when everyone looks at your feet :)

heath said...

You're in good company--my good friend just broke her foot by stepping on a rock at a beach. Glad you don't have the crutches anymore!

Kim said...

Well, poop. I hope you are feeling better, and that it heals quickly! And I totally think the purple sweats are hot! ;)

Rachel said...

I. Love. You.

Sharon said...

That's terrible! I've never been on crutches before (knock on wood), but I know they're no fun if you actually need to use them. I'm glad you can at least get around better now, and that you can still wear those shoes with confidence afterward!

Lee and Melody said...

What is it with this summer and right foot damgage?!?

For next season, let's pick a body part to destroy that's not quite so frustrating when it is incapacitated. How about...left side of rump? :)

I love you, Sis. That's all.

Lee and Melody said...

I meant "damage." My apologies. Apogees. Pedigree. Filigree. Treguna, Makoidees, Trecorum, Sadis Dee.

And more love.

Lainie said...

I'm so sorry Marianne! Its a good thing you have such a great sense of humor! You really have a way of telling a story. I wish you fast recovery-ing! HUGS!

Rachel said...

Oh man, Marianne . . .

If I ever hurt myself seriously, it will definitely be from something like that. Example: I just got a nasty bruise on my bohonkus from missing a stairstep on the way down from my apartment.

Anna B said...

hi! cutchins clued me in to your blog and i LOVE it. it's funny and interesting and refreshing and smart. i hope you don't mind that i visit

a) that really stinks about breaking your foot and that is totally how i would have done it.

b) that is some SWEET bruising.

c) love the polish on the toenails--great color choice!

d) yes to the purple sweats

also--in total seriousness--you are a great writer and dennis is absolutely right. you should publish.

(and, just in case--we've totally met. san francisco pcaaca conference. brooke and i are old students of dennis's. great times at cheesecake factory)