Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Going Out On a Limb

I don't blog about a lot of things because I am afraid I will offend someone or say something that will make someone feel bad. But today, I'm going to go ahead and run the risk of hurting feelings. I made a decision a few weeks ago that several people have asked me about, so I'm going to explain myself. And that's ALL I'm doing, just explaining my reasons, not stating any facts, not making any judgements. Just telling you why I did it.

I left Facebook.

I know! I'm crazy, right?! Well, actually, I don't think so. I'll tell you why I did it. I'm not telling you you have to do it.

1. I spent too much time there, snooping in other people's lives, watching them do nothing much, just like me.

2. I got tired of reading status updates that, although entertaining, probably weren't telling me what I really wanted to know, which is "Why are you on Facebook and not doing something useful?"

3. Most of my Facebook friends were teenagers. Nothing wrong with teenagers, but I don't think my kids' friends are REALLY my friends. 388 Facebook friends does NOT a true friendship make.

4. I felt VERY uncomfortable when some of my LDS friends started posting things against President Packer's last Conference address. Call me old-fashioned, but I think you're treading on pretty thin ice when you do things like that. And I'm not comfortable on ANY kind of ice, especially that kind. If it hadn't been this event, they would have found something else to protest about. I'm not a protestor. And I don't want to be involved in any way with your protest. So don't even ask me.

5. I felt that it was the right thing for me to do.

6. I could NEVER get the highest score on Bejeweled Blitz. And when I closed my eyes, I could see falling jewels. Definitely time to get out.

8 comments:

Rachel said...

Way to go. I admire you :)

Sharon said...

First of all, I want to say that I LOVE LOVE LOVE your family picture at the top of your blog! You've got a great family. (Oh, and I forgot to tell you, I saw Dennis & Kate at the grocery store last week, which was fun!) :)

I left facebook back in 2003, I think, for almost the same reasons. Granted, Pres. Packer hadn't just said anything to protest against, but I was spending too much time there doing nothing worthwhile. While there are some definite reasons that it can be good (a way to keep in touch, etc), I didn't feel that it was very personal, and not worth the time that I was spending on it, so I left. I don't even know how many times I've been asked to join facebook since then, but I really have no desire. I don't miss it.

Lee and Melody said...

I have to commend your photo-shopping skills. I'd never have guessed Paul wasn't there in the corn maze! :)

And I love you!

Kim said...

Your new picture is SO great! Love it! Totally agree with you...way to go. :) I think I need to at least stop playing Bejeweled Blitz...is it scary that I have also seen jewels while falling asleep? That can't be good!!!!

heath said...

I've been debating dropping out of facebook for awhile now. But then I see some good in it, so I postpone making the decision. This is food for thought (and way to go!).

Kazzy said...

I laughed myself silly with the falling jewels comment. If leaving fb gives you more time to blog then I am all for it. :)

Erica said...

I completely agree with the President Packer thing. I have a friend who told me that she was having a hard decision taking sides because she needs to look at both sides first. HELLO!!!! He is an Apostle sent from God. If God didn't want him there, he would have gotten rid of him long ago!!! Do we need to look at both sides when we know where we should stand?! Nope. LoL. I totally went on a rant, but I had to say it somewhere she would not see it. hehe.

Erica said...

thanks for your comment on my blog :) I am sure that after opera is over I will be better. (Amber says it is way easier after that). It just makes me really tired being up so long. Any normal person would be tired. I am pretty sure that the feelings of inadequacy are because I am tired. I slept for like 10 hours last night. It felt good :) ( I usually try to get 9 or 10 every night and now I get sixish). Thanks for everything love ya!