Sunday, January 16, 2011

Savory Moment #2

Tonight I've been practicing accompaniments for my students for Solo/Ensemble. I'm working on Quantz, Joncieres, Rutter, and Jacob. My hands are getting tired, and Isaac just told me that Dad is getting annoyed with the song I keep playing (this is not the Savory Moment). I stopped to rest a bit, and out of the depths of the basement, I hear my daughter's beautiful flute playing. She's struggling with the flute solo in the last movement of Dvorak IV. She's doing great, but she's way under tempo, and that's OK, because she's practicing under tempo, just the way I taught her to. She'll do it over and over and over until it feels comfortable, and then she'll speed it up just a little bit, and do it over and over and over again. Then she'll speed it up just a little more, and do it over and over and over. She'll keep doing this until it's fast enough, and by then it will be perfect. It takes time and patience, and tolerance from those around her who get annoyed with the repetition. The Savory Moment is that I know life works the same way.

1 comment:

Kazzy said...

I am reading this while I listen to my 14-yr old and his band practicing in my basement. I now know all of the lyrics to their songs, and I am getting a little loopy with it all.

But your analogy boreal life makes me think that repetition is a good thing, especially when it helps us to understand and get better at something important.

Thanks.