Monday, January 31, 2011

Savory Moment #4

I get the post-Christmas blues pretty bad. I love the holidays so much that I don't get the blues before, but after, when all the fun is packed away and I've shopped the sales and bought more lights for next year (yahoo!!), I feel sad. It's cold, and being cold makes me tired. And it's dark, and the sun doesn't shine for days at a time.

The other day I was moping around the house, and I suddenly wished for flowers. Lots of flowers, growing in my garden and filling my yard with colorful glory. I considered the plastic flowers I've seen at the dollar store--I could buy a bunch of those and poke them in the ground, just to help me make it until spring when I can plant...

OH!! WAIT!! I JUST REMEMBERED SOMETHING WONDERFUL!!!!

Guess what I did last fall? I planted HUNDREDS of bulbs in my garden!! I just remembered! I had forgotten all about those little sleeping bunches of JOY! Tulips, daffodils, hyacinths (my very, very favorite!!) and crocus.

When I remembered those bulbs in my garden, just waiting until spring to BURST out of the winter mud, I was SO HAPPY!! I had planned ahead for the winter blues, and then I forgot all about it. Now I am excited about my bulbs, and I'm excited for my flowers. And if you drive past my house in April or May and you see me laying on the front walk with my face in the dirt, don't worry. I'm OK! I'll have my nose in the hyacinths and I'll be breathing the life back into my wintery spirit.

6 comments:

Julie said...

You ALWAYS make me smile!

Kim said...

I will be driving by your house in April or so...this just sounds too appealing! (Especially after seeing the weather forecast this morning for highs in the teens and lows in the single digits tomorrow...uuuugh). I love your savory moments! :)

Kazzy said...

Bulbs to the rescue! It is like Christmas all over again. Lucky!

Lee and Melody said...

Wow! I wanna come lay on your sidewalk too!

And my word verification was "furgem." Skeeter is a fur gem. Hee hee!

Susan said...

Way to think ahead!

Lainie said...

Marianne...I LOVE this post! I too get the post Christmas blues BAD! AND...I too planted lots of bulbs last fall. AAAAAND....i too LOOOOOOOVE hyacinths. My MOST fave. SO, while you're on your tummy on Utah soil, I'll be on my tummy on Oregon soil and we'll both be breathing in hyacinth heaven.