Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Savory Moments, Part 1

I tend to be a "glass half empty" kind of girl. I don't like that about myself, and over the years, I have made multiple attempts at change. Some attempts go better than others. I like to think of it as a process, though. You know, I try, and I move forward, and then I try some more, and then I move forward some more. And then I quit and slip back a little, but then I try again. Yes, definitely a process.

Well, here's the thing. I have a great life. A great husband and great kids. A great home and great family and friends. A great job. But I'm frequently grouchy and ungrateful. In my introspective moments, which seem to come more and more frequently the older I get, I know that I need to change that attitude. I need to enjoy the journey a little more, if you will.

So here's what I'm gonna do. I am going to Savor the Moment. The moments come every day. And I notice them. I do. But I don't think about them very long because I'm so stressed and busy. My goal is to notice them and record them. That way when I'm in an extra poopy mood, I can look back and remember the Savory Moments. (Did I just write the word "poopy?" Nice...)

So, without further ado, here is SAVORY MOMENT #1:

Last night, I got the most wonderful email. It was from a lady who lives in Wamego, Kansas, where my son has been serving on his mission for the last seven months. He loved serving there, and was sad to leave when he got transferred last week. This sweet sister, whom I will proudly and forever call Friend, took the time to write to me and tell me how wonderful my son is. She told me how he taught her nine year-old daughter how to care for her American Girl pony, how he split the seam of his pants learning to be a Russian Dancer, how he ruined his suit coat by putting it in the washing machine, how he comforted his homesick companion on Christmas Day. She told me how the (not LDS) clerk in the grocery store asked her husband, "Where's that kid with the belt buckle? He was a good egg." She told me that my son is a good missionary and a hard worker.

I cried, and then I printed out the letter, and I took it to bed with me and held it while I slept. Savory Moment, indeed.

10 comments:

Julie said...

I love this post for many reasons. What a wonderful new friend who took the time to share those things about Paul with you. What a wonderful exercise to savor the moment AND then record it so you can remember. Thanks, Marianne!

Lee and Melody said...

That's so neat, Sis. What a great idea, and what a sweet letter. I'm so glad you brought up such a fine young man. Love!

Rachel said...

I think I need to savor some moments too.

Kazzy said...

Ok, I just cried. Sheesh.

That is savory indeed. I am sure your missionary endears himself to everyone he meets. What a good guy.

I love the idea of recognizing these great blessings. This will make a great theme here on your blog.

Hope you are well.

sachiko and mark said...

you are just so sweet. you really know how to write tear jerker posts marianne!

Susan said...

Hey - I have LDS friends in Wamego. Did your son ever mention the Clarks? Anyways, that's awesome that someone took the time to tell you about your son. We need more people like that in the world!

Marianne said...

AMEN to that, Susan!! And I don't recall him mentioning the Clarks, but he doesn't tell us much! If they are in the branch there, I'm sure he know them.

Anna B said...

That is so fantastic that she emailed you--what an impression Elder C has made on the people around him. I feel like helping people associate the LDS Church with goodness and kindness and fun-lovingness is such a crucial part of missionary work. Like I said before, I wish I had been more aware of that as a missionary. Next time around :) Thanks for the share!

Kim said...

Aw, that's so sweet! You've got such a great son to be proud of. And hats off to that sweet lady for writing to you about him!

Janice Pyper said...

Sis, I remember talking to a few moms on the phone when we were on our missions, and how they would just hang on every word I said about their sons. What a gift that sister gave you! You made me cry too. And I love your savory moments idea! That was a bit of inspiration, I think!