Monday, April 25, 2011

Owie!!

I just need to whine a little, I hope you don't mind.

Remember back in August when I took that graceful little spill out in front of my neighbor's house? And I broke my foot and wore that awesome boot around for two months? And then when I got the boot off my foot was so swollen and stiff that I still couldn't walk normally for several weeks? Right about that time (October, if you're counting), my back started hurting. It was just a little twinge now and then, kind of like maybe a pinched nerve or something. It got progressively worse, and I wondered if my ancient bed were somehow to blame...

So Dennis and I decided it was time for a new bed. My back was hurting, his knees and hips were hurting, and in 20+ years of marriage, we have never bought a new bed, so it was REALLY time.

Well, in spite of the new bed, my dang back kept hurting, and if you want to know the truth, it was getting worse. But these things usually go away on their own, right? RIGHT??!!??? Now that I'm several months older and wiser, I realize that I was OH. SO. WRONG.

I've been in pretty much constant pain for over six months now. I've been to the doctor, who prescribed anti-inflammatories, which I took faithfully for two weeks and didn't notice any difference until I stopped taking them. Then I noticed a significant increase in the pain. Then I ventured into the new and painful world of chiropractic medicine. I got lucky because the chiropractor I've been seeing also uses accupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine to promote healing. YAY! Needles, my favorite!! And since I've been seeing the chiropractor, the pain has been at least double what it was, plus new pain, including bruises, where I have been "treated" by the sadistic torture man (I meant to say chiropractor, but my fingers slipped a little...)

So I find myself at an impasse. I actually really like the sadistic torture man, he's really nice and funny, except when he's trying to beat me to death or twist my head off or poke my back full of electric needles. But I'm in so much pain, and it ebbs and flows, and I'm starting to worry that it won't ever get any better.

The chiropractor said he's pretty sure that after my foot injury, with all my limping and hobbling, I irritated something in my back, and then never took care of it so it could get better (he used some right proper medical terms to describe this to me, but since I don't speak right proper medical, I can't be expected to remember any of it).

So I find myself not sleeping well, in pain 90% of the time (loose estimate, that), cranky and sad. I don't know if I should keep seeing that dang torture man--he's confident that he can fix it, but he makes me cry, and I don't like it! Or is there another route of treatment I could try that won't hurt and that will help me feel better? I feel pretty darn sorry for myself, that's for sure! (As if you couldn't tell--you can thank me later for pointing out the obvious...)

Yeah, and it's raining today, too. Happy Monday!

:-(

9 comments:

Natalie said...

I almost wrote, I feel your pain, but I don't, not anymore. After years of exactly what you've described I am pain free and offer you hope in this department. I was lucky to find a physical therapist who gave me (sorry to say this) exercises that strengthened my core and put my posture back in alignment (years of walking, sleeping doing everything wonky to try and not feel pain)but it is possible to get things back in line, you are right to look for other options. So sorry it hurts :(

The McKinleys said...

booo for being in pain!!! i am so sorry to hear that you are having such a rough time :(

just remember that i love you very much! :)

Kim said...

That chiropractor sounds a little bit torturous and scary. I wish I had some advice for you. Hang in there, and I hope it gets better soon! That's awful!

t.t.turner said...

Oh, Marianne! There is nothing worse than back pain. I don't know what to say, but hang in there! Love you.

Sharon said...

I always have at least a sore back, thanks to scoliosis, but that's definitely not cool to be in pain all the time! I've always just done back exercises and massages, although when it really hurts, those don't seem to help as much as I'd like.

Anna B said...

so sorry!! back pain is SO not fun. i did something weird to my back a couple of months ago so that it hurt for a while and i hated it--back pain hurts!! sending healing thoughts to your back--i hope you feel better soon!

Susan said...

So sorry, Marianne! I don't have any great advice, but hang in there! I hope you feel better soon.

heath said...

I'm a big fan of chiropractic care, but I've found that not all chiropractors use the same methods. There's nothing wrong with shopping around to find one that clicks, although that first appointment with a chiropractor always costs more, so that's a drawback. Have you tried swimming? I have a love/hate relationship with swimming. I hate wearing a swimsuit, I hate getting chlorine in my hair, I hate being at the pool at the same time as other people because I know I'm not a very good swimmer, but I love the way I feel after swimming--my lungs, and my shoulders especially! But I'm not sure how much it helps with back pain . . . Hope you find a solution, and soon!

physiker said...

Hi, Sis.
You should remember to talk to heidi this weekend about TMS. It has totally changed our lives to know about the connection between anxiety/stress and helth and wellness issues. Maybe I'll call you...
LOVE
Bri