Thursday, April 21, 2011

Time Well Spent

I just spent twenty minutes composing the perfect comment for a friend's blog. Ironically, the blog was about not wanting to cook dinner. Ever. And as you may note, right this minute it is dinner time. And you may also note that I am not currently fixing dinner. I'm posting on my blog.

With every word I type, every phrase I write, the minutes tick away and bring me closer to the dreaded moment that I began considering before I even got out of bed this morning. The moment when I confess that I don't want to fix dinner. I think about it before I even eat breakfast. What will I fix for dinner tonight? Usually, I have no answer to this query. Even immediately after I return from the grocery store, I have no answer. Right this minute, there is hamburger thawed in the fridge. There is a recipe book open on the counter. All the ingredients are waiting for me, all I have to do is get up out of my chair, walk up the stairs and into the kitchen, and cook the dang meal.

But you know what? That ain't gonna happen. BLEH. That's about all I have to say about that. BLEH. BLeh. blEh. BlEh. (Oh great, now I'm getting all eloquent, and nobody wants that...)

Help.

(But please don't advise me about the crock pot, or the weekly menu, or the planning ahead. What I really need is a maid and a cook. A hot tub would be nice, too.)

Little Caesar's, here I come! I'll probably stop at Krispy Kreme on my way home.

8 comments:

Julie said...

Amen!

Lee and Melody said...

Mmm. That's my kind of dinner! You are awesome, Sis. (Now I'm sniffling and teary) Love you!

Erica said...

You are so hilarious. I love reading your blog. I don't like finding what to make. It is hard. Plus, you work and that is REALLY hard to have energy to cook and even think about it after a day at work.

Thanks for your comments on my blog. It is just nice to let things out once in a while, so life doesn't explode every waking moment.

t.t.turner said...

What I wouldn't give for that very meal. Good ol' Liz - I loved that post!

Sharon said...

This is totally how I feel every day!! And now that I have to feed a newborn at unpredictable hours, I have had an excuse for not having dinner ready all too often...

Meredith said...

That is why you must have an excellent lunch, so you don't have to eat a big dinner ;).
So when do you want to go?

Kazzy said...

So funny how you say you don't want the typical advice about menus, planning. I totally agree. I know all that stuff, but I still just plain ol' don't want to do it!

Lizzy Lambson said...

Marianne, I am a bad friend. I haven't commented on your blog (um, perhaps ever? Auuuuugh! The shame!!!!!!) and can I just say that I love it and I love the way you write and the way you are honest and the way you love your family and everything else that is so virtuous about your existence.

Thanks for your comment about dinners, especially, and I apologize for however much time I've made you waste with the dribble I post ;)

I'll have you know that I don't think I've cooked anything since that post! And I feel okay about it. We went out to eat a couple times. Sam cooked a couple times. Tomorrow though, I shall put on the apron again and cook for company, and for Easter. I guess Easter is today because it's 3 in the morning and I didn't mean to get up and feed the baby who doesn't usually eat at night anymore and pump (TMI?)--that was not in my plans! But I got to read your blog while I did it and that makes it worth it!

Well, just wanted to say I love you and you're the greatest. I am going to be a better blogging buddy from now on, I promise!

Happy Easter!