Saturday, September 3, 2011

Blessed and Grateful

Last night Kate and I went to a concert at the University.  We do that a lot.  Sometimes it's me and Kate, sometimes it's me and Dennis, sometimes I torture the boys and make them come, too.  But I love these outings.  I love the time I get to spend wtih my daughter, or my husband, or my whole family.  These are special times.

When I go to these concerts, I usually cry.  At some point during the night, my soul overflows with joy and gratitude, and the tears flow.  To hear these performers, to be a part of the music, to be able to listen and enjoy...  I just can't help it.  I cry.

I feel so blessed, and so grateful, that there is this kind of beauty in the world.  And that I have the opportunity, here in little old Provo, to hear some of the world's great artists, and to hear some of the world's greatest art.

Want to see what I'm talking about?

 Brian Stokes Mitchell

 Chanticleer

 Dawn Upshaw

 Frederica Von Stade

 The King's Singers

Lea Salonga

You see how lucky I am?  I have been there.  I have seen them.  I have heard their voices.  And this is just the past couple of years, and just the professionals.  The BYU groups make me cry, too. Maybe even more, because they are my friends.  Holst, Shostakovich, Dvorak, Strauss, Prokofiev, Beethoven, Brahms, Mahler.  Such wonderful music, such amazing performers, such thrilling performances.

So you see.  I am blessed. 

And I am grateful.

7 comments:

Amber said...

Awww Marianne. You inspire me. You have such a positive outlook. I want to be more like you.

Snow said...

Marianne! I can't invite you to view my blog because I don't have your email address--can you email it to me? carriethetid@gmail.com.

Snow said...

I love it. BYU is a really special place. We have all kinds of great artists who come to DC--but ticket prices are sky high, so we can't go to most of them. It's amazing how the more I learn about and participate in music, the more it becomes meaningful to me. And the more I can appreciate others who are sharing their gifts. Thanks for this post.

Kazzy said...

Do you know Marilyn Parks from the School of Music administration office? SHe is in my ward and was promoting the Lea Solanga concert big time today. I may attend on Wednesday.

Marianne said...

Oh, Karen, I do know (and absolutely ADORE) Marilyn! Give her my greetings and love!! And if there is any way you can move heaven or earth to get to that concert, I would advise you to do so. Seriously.

Sharon said...

I miss all the wonderful concerts at BYU already! We're definitely in the middle of nowhere here, and the ONLY thing that looked good to go to here was Bill Cosby. We'll plan on that, but what about the music?!

Melody said...

*jealous*
I love you and miss you, and am so glad you got to see her perform!