Saturday, October 13, 2012

Catching Up

I feel very sheepish about not blogging for a month.  But the truth is, I have been really busy, and something(s) had to give!  I have been trying to choose sanity over accomplishing everything on the to-do list, and managing, but only just.

That is why today, at 3:41 p.m., I am still in my pajamas.  I did manage to brush  my hair, but only because my night ponytail gave up and left me with no choice.  However, joy of joy and heaven of heaven, I slept in until 8:30 this morning, and it felt SO GOOD.  And now the laundry is almost done, the Halloween decorating is finished, the mess from last night's work party is cleaned up, everyone has fresh flannel sheets on their beds (thank you fall, for finally coming to Utah!!), and I feel pretty good.  Maybe I should sleep in until 8:30 every day and always wear my jammies...

So here's what's been happening in the past month:

This is my cute little brand new Bear Cub Scout!  He'll move on to Webelos in a few months, and he's pretty excited.  The task now is to see if I can get his patches sewn on before then...

Here's Wade receiving his Star rank advancement and a few merit badges.  He's getting closer and closer to finishing with his Scouting requirements, and to tell you the truth, I'll be glad when he's done.  I don't enjoy the Scouting program all that much, even though Wade is pretty easy to work with.  The program is NOT that easy to work with, and it gives me ulcers.  (I'm not even kidding).

New this year...Wade is playing football.  He loves it.  I have mixed feelings.  He's been injured once, and I embarrassed myself and Dennis by being the stereotypical panicky mother.  But he's part of a team, and I know that's important to a boy this age.  Heck, it's important to all of us to feel part of something, so I don't want to make him quit, even though every sensible fiber of my being begs for him to do just that.

Here's the Timpview 8th grade team being squashed by Provo.  So far this season, we're 1-5.  Ouch.

See those giant fellows in the background?  There were a few boys on the other team that were only slightly smaller than those guys.  We had no chance.

I'm not sure if you can tell by the way Isaac is standing, but he was SO EXCITED to attend a session of General Conference in the Conference Center!  He spent most of the time drawing or reading or lounging on the floor under our feet, but he was really excited to go...

Wade, on the other hand, was not all that excited about being there.  But lately, he doesn't get all that excited about anything.  He's thirteen.

This is me in my office at work.  This will only be my office for a few more days, because I found out this week that I got the new job I applied for.  I will be the new Undergraduate Advisor for the Mechanical Engineering Department!  I'm very excited, but also very nervous, because since our other advisor left, things have been piling up, and there is a lot to do.  I have been trying to do bits and pieces of two jobs for the past few weeks, and it has been stressful.  Several nights this week I have woken up in the middle of the night, unable to sleep because my mind is churning, so I am anxious to get down to business and start learning my new job.

This is my front yard.  I LOVE decorating for Halloween.  I have been collecting my decorations since Dennis and I first got married, and I have quite a good collection going.  I helped both Kate and Nicole get their collections started for our Conference Weekend Girls' Night (and Isaac) Out!  If you're wondering, Shopko has the best prices on Halloween decorations, and also the best selection.

More Halloween...we made these ghosties for Family Home Evening once when we actually held Family Home Evening!  Cut up sheets, balls of newspaper, and twist ties.  I wash them and put them away after each Halloween, and we stuff them up again every year.

These creepy skeletons light up at night, which increases their creepiness.  They're so awesome!!

And more Halloween.  Maybe I over do it, but if you can't over do Halloween, what's the point??

So you can see, I've been busy.  There is other news, too.  Because of my new job, I have retired from teaching.  I've said tearful goodbyes to my students, but will be able to come home from work now and help the boys with their homework, and do other important things.  For example, I made dinner TWO TIMES last week.  HOW AWESOME IS THAT???!!

Oh, and one more thing.  Last night, Kate told me she has decided that she wants to serve a mission.  For those of you keeping track, she will be nineteen in about 10 months.  Crap.  Hooray!!

12 comments:

Wendy said...

Loved seeing your picture with this article: http://www.ldschurchnews.com/articles/62805/Balanced-parenting-Learning-to-not-hover-like-a-helicopter.html!

Too bad the picture isn't in the online version.

Julie said...

Congratulations on your new job!!

I love all your posts, Marianne, no matter how often they are written.

Natalie said...

So many wonderful things happening in your family. Your kids are all doing so well :-) I love seeing your office and how neatly you line up your post it notes, I love stuff like that. I hope you LOVE your new job and get some good sleep. Cheers to sleep in's and jammies.

t.t.turner said...

I have missed your blog posts! I want to trick-or-treat at your house. Life is always better when you wake up at 8:30. Congratulations on the new job and future missionary. :)

heath said...

1. So excited for your new job. You will be so good! Good luck catching up; that's always hard to pick up in the middle of a pile of work. (And I'm kind of curious who left . . .)
2. I love, love, love your Halloween decorations. A little jealous of how cute it is.
3. How crazy that Kate could leave so soon. You can do it though!

Erica said...

I LOVE all your Halloween decorations. AND you totally rock for helping your daughter and DIL start their collection. AND I do not blame you for eliminating a few things from your schedule to spend more time with family. You have such an amazing perspective. I love that about you.

Wendy said...

Here it is:

http://www.deseretnews.com/photo/gallery/story/765612119/Helicopter-parenting-cramps-young-adult-lives.html?photoId=1018725

Thanks for the update!

Kazzy said...

Congrats on the new job! Our oldest son will either be going into mechanical or manufacturing engineering next year. Still doing pre-reqs.

Exciting news for your daughter!

Anna B said...

love that you posted!! what an exciting update! congrats on the job, they are SOOO lucky to have you, i LOVE the decorations (halloween is so much fun) and i LOVE that pic of kate and she will be such a phenomenal sister missionary. here's crossing my fingers for NYC.

Kim said...

That's a lot of busy things, and changes, and wow!! I have no excuse for not blogging in two months, so at least you've got a good one. I'm sad you aren't teaching because I know how GREAT of a teacher you are, but I absolutely understand the decision. There are good things, and then there are better things...like spending time with your family!!! I hope things go well with the new job and you get caught up, and then can really enjoy a little of that newfound freedom! :)

Melody said...

I want to come to your house for Halloween. I want to bring my kiddos and dog (and heck, Lee too) and have a popcorn and donut night and just be with you. Dang, I miss you. I love your decorations. I love your kids. I love your posts, and Marianne, I sure love you. And I'll just go ahead and start praying for a mission call to Seoul if that's okay with you. ♥

Tahu said...

Really nice, I love your bloh